This past weekend I spent some time down “on the farm” reviewing the status of the farm house repair/improvements. The first image below is the sample image from the tiles we’ve elected to use in our new bathroom – the image is from the tile people and is nothing like our bathroom, but at least it does provide a “feel” for how the tile is going to look.
This next image is of the front of the house with the old (older but newer than original) siding removed. It exposed some bad wood spots that needed repair with replacement wood, but overall in good condition. We elected to put new windows in place as well. When we saw the wood shingles in the gable we decided to try and keep them. There are some that need to be replaced around the window, but otherwise they just need to be cleaned and painted. We need to add some color to the house anyway and we really like the “old style” look this brings back to the house.
This next image is of the house from an arial view showing the state at the time. The roof is a silvery gray but in most cases it appears white when the sun is bright.
We’ve selected (and purchased) lights and a ceiling fan (to replace the one in the main entry/porch area). We’ve gone with some “flush mount” LED lights for the kitchen, back door entry area (mud room), laundry and hall way. Also some smaller utility LED lights for the walk in closets. We found some really nice motion activated security lights as well (also LED). For the external front door and back door lights we’ve found a really nice style we like that is “old” and uses vintage element light bulbs. I’m not quite sure if they’re LED, but I think that is an option. The bulbs are about $5 to purchase but the look is really neat.
A good bit of work has to be done, including the flooring, tile work and painting – but we seem to be over the biggest portion of the rebuild. It’s going to be another few weeks before we can move back in.